Before stepping into SQL, we have a lot of questions that pop up in our heads randomly. What is SQL, and what does it stand for? Why learn this language? What makes it different from programming languages?
Well, reading this article will help you to get a clear picture of SQL.
Before learning SQL, let us see to some basic definitions that will help uh to get clarity about the concept:
- Data: Data here stands for the raw facts and figures. For example: 20.
- Information: Information in easy terms is meaningful data. For example: the Roll no. of Ram is 20. In addition to this, we can say that unprocessed information is called Data. The information stands as the processed form of data.
- Database: It is a collection of data or information in an organized manner.
- DBMS: Database management system is the software that is used to maintain a Database. For example:.xml, .dox etc.
- RDBMS: Relational database management system is a form of Database management system in which data is stored in the form of Rows and Columns ie. in table format. For example: MySQL, Oracle etc.
Now, after discussing these terms, let us understand What is SQL?
SQL stands for Structured Query Language. SQL is the programming language that helps us to interact with the database. Any changes or manipulation in the database is performed using SQL. The operations that we can do using SQL are:
- Inserting: This involves adding data into the database.
- Deleting: This includes deleting data from the database.
- retrieving: This includes accessing data from the database.
- Altering: this means to modify or change the existing data into the database.