A TEST PLAN is a document which describe software testing scope and activities. It is the basis for formally testing any software/product in a project. ISTQB Definition: Test Plan is a document describing the scope, approach, resources and schedule of intended test activities.
Test Plan Includes:
- Test Plan id: A test plan is unique for a given project. Therefore, each test plan must be assigned a unique number so as to make identification simpler. Creating a test id also helps a great deal in configuration management system.
- Introduction: The introduction part of the test plan must include scope and objectives of the project along with constraints, if any. This part of the document helps to offer an overview of a software application to be developed. Product Overview, Objective, Reference Document
- Test Scope: Functional Testing, Regression Testing, Cross Browser Testing, Responsive Testing, Performance Testing, Automated Regression, Feature to be Tested, Feature not in scope for QA
- Test Approach: Quality Phase, Test Process, Defect Reporting and Tracking (Defect Life Cycle, Defect Reporting, Assigning Defect Priority), Testing Environments
- Test Environment: Hardware/Software Requirement, Tool Requirement, Data Requirement, Assumptions, Entry Criteria, Exit Criteria
- Timelines / Schedule: A summary of schedule mentioning the milestones to be achieved and the time frame within which the testing activities are to be completed.
- Test items:
- Test techniques:
- Testing tasks:
- Suspension criteria:
- Features pass or fail criteria: This component enlists the criteria(s) used for determining whether a software component has passed or failed testing.
- Test Deliverables: This component lists the various aspects that are expected from the entire testing process. Test deliverables include test plan, test cases, test scripts, defect logs and test reports.
- Staff and training needs: Specify what kind of training needs to be given to the staff or team members to sharpen their skills or to provide the skills needed to carry out the testing activities.
- QA Team / Responsibilities: List the roles and responsibilities to be assigned to each team member.
- Estimate: An estimate is with regard to the cost and effort that is to be invested in the process of carrying out test activities.
- Assumption and Dependencies: This includes mentioning the assumptions that have been made to prepare this plan and also the dependencies associated with this test plan.
- Approvals: This component must take into account the names of the people who shall be responsible for approving the test plan.
- References: List related documents as a reference for the current testing process as it helps to relate concepts and makes the task easier. One must include all necessary links that are available along with project plan and configuration management plan.