Objectives focus on the desired outcomes of the project rather than tasks within it. Objectives are post condition of the project. The Objectives should define what the project ream must achieve for Project Success.
An effective objective for an individual must be something that is within the control of that individual.
In order to achieve the objective we must achieve certain goals or sub-objectives first.
Measure of effectiveness provide practical methods of checking that an objective has been met.
The mnemonic SMART is sometime is used to describe well defined objectives:
- Specific: Effective objectives are concrete and well defined.
- Measurable: There should be measure of effectiveness of project.
- Achievable: The Objective should be achievable by an individual or group.
- Relevant: Object must be relevant to the project.
- Time Constraint: Time should be defined when objective must be achieved.