AI is already being used by sports teams for strategic planning, player training, and advertising. AI is changing the way viewers find and interact with sports content in profound ways. AI's enhanced universe of real-time information is useful for athletes, advertisers, and broadcasters.
The C-suite audience throughout the world is now receiving real-time data, which has raised participation by 16%. The sports sector is the most recent one to find that AI is having an influence and changing the way business is done.
The role of AI in sports.
Statistics and data analytics have been utilized by the athletic business for generations. Since every measurable aspect of sports is currently being tracked, AI might find much use in this arena. The effects of AI on the sporting world are substantial and ongoing. Some of the ways in which AI is changing the sports sector are listed below.
1. Player performance prediction models
As a form of artificial intelligence, predictive modeling allows us to make predictions about what could happen. AI Applications in marketing and finance are already using this technology, but it can also be used in sports to gauge an individual's potential.
Managers and coaches may utilize this data to optimize their lineups and game plans. Predictive models of player performance may be developed with the help of AI by analyzing historical performance data with machine learning techniques.
Additionally, players' statistics, medical history, and disciplinary records can also be used for analysis and delivering the exact result. This form of AI may be used to forecast a wide range of outcomes, like the risk of injury to a player, the probability of a player's performance, etc.
2. Patterns and trends in game footage
There are a number of advantages to using AI to evaluate game videos. Teams can use it to spot trends and patterns they haven't seen before. They may get an advantage in games as a result of their improved strategic decision-making.
By training ML algorithms on game footage, AI may isolate and follow individual players or other items of interest. As a result, teams may have a clearer picture of the player's whereabouts and momentum in the game. Additionally, with the help of AI, it can be convenient to rank players' skill levels.
3. Personalized Training
Artificial intelligence may be utilized to develop unique workout plans for each athlete. AI may also track a player's development and offer suggestions for improvement. Adjustments to the training plan can be made on the basis of this data. Using AI to aid with training has many advantages:
- Enhancement in efficiency
- Lower risk of injuries
- Shorter recovery times, etc.
4. Create athletic gear
In order to provide better sporting gear, companies like Adidas, Wilson, etc., are increasingly embracing AI.
- Adidas: Developed an AI-powered soccer ball that can change its trajectory in flight for more precision.
- Wilson: Developed an AI-powered tennis racket for greater power and accuracy in shots.
Additionally, there is other sports gear where artificial intelligence has been used for improvisations like:
- The swing weight of modern golf clubs. The sensors in them monitor the golfer's swing and allow them to function.
- Running shoes that sense the wearer's fatigue and change the amount of cushioning accordingly. These shoes can modify the level of shock absorption.
- Smart bicycles that plot the quickest path to the user's destination using global positioning system data.
5. Boost fan’s experience
Artificial intelligence (AI) is being used to enhance the experiences of its fans.
- The Golden State Warriors, for instance, employed AI to develop VR content for its fans.
- Los Angeles Dodgers games utilized AI to guide fans to their seats.
AI is also being utilized in a variety of other creative ways to enhance the fan experience. This can be done in a variety of ways, including:
- Creating VR content that fans can enjoy where fans can have a more immersive experience.
- Assist spectators in locating their seats with the help of a camera that can scan the faces of attendees, and their tickets are then matched up.
- Using chatbots to answer fan queries and requests for player information to encourage communication between fans and their favorite athletes.
- Help spectators find parking near the venue with the help of a camera that reads the license plates of passing vehicles and matches the scanned faces of the drivers etc.
6. Injury prevention
It may be devastating financially for players to sustain injuries. AI can help in keeping players healthy while avoiding costly injuries. AI can monitor player weariness or track sleeping habits and protect against injuries among athletes.
With AI, you can predict which players will get injured based on the data collected. You can use this data for your strategy and player selection during the game.
7. Assistance with refereeing
Officiating is the area where AI can also be deployed. With AI, you can decide whether or not a goal should be tallied, make the foul determination, aid in the enforcement of rules, analyze controversial judgments, etc. Strategic choices concerning the game can be informed by this data.
As AI and Machine learning transform the whole industry, AI will greatly boost sports competition, and better sensors along with the algorithms will improve overall competition prediction. AI will impact advertising, sports corporations, franchise owners, coaches, game planners, and almost every sector of sports. With such a broad spectrum of deployment, the whole sports business may employ AI to gain a competitive edge.