Ethical code serve as a guideline for individual responsible action. They state a moral obligation not a legal one. An individuals involvement in Software Testing project provide access to him for confidential and privileged information. Code of Ethics is needed because information should not put to inappropriate use.
Recognising the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and IEEE code of ethics for engineers, the ISTQB states the following code of ethics:
- PUBLIC: Certified software testers shall act consistently with the public interest.
- CLIENT AND EMPLOYER: Certified software testers shall act in a manner that is in the best interests of their client and employer.
- PRODUCT: Tester must ensure that the deliverable they provide meet the highest professional standards.
- JUDGEMENT: Tester must maintain integrity and independence in their professional judgement.
- MANAGEMENT: Test Managers and leaders must follow ethical approach to the management of software testing.
- PROFESSION: Testers must advance the integrity and reputation of the profession consistent with the public interest.
- COLLEAGUES: Tester shall be supportive and fair to their colleagues.
- SELF: Testers shall participate in lifelong learning.