Winium is an Open Source automation framework used to automate Windows desktop-based applications and Windows Mobile Applications.
Winium is built over the selenium library and is helpful for users who have prior knowledge of selenium WebDriver. It is based on a selenium remote web driver and is the most preferred automation testing tool for desktop-based apps.
- Winium uses WinForms & WPF GUI library to identify elements.
- WinForms stands for Windows Forms, a platform for writing client applications for PC, Mobiles, and Tablets. It is a Graphical User Interface library inside Microsoft .Net Framework.
- WPF stands for Windows Presentation Foundation. It is GUI sub-systems like WinForms, used to render UI in Windows applications.
- Any desktop application developed on WPF or Winforms can be automated using Winium.
1. Open Source
You don't have to buy any license for using Winium because it is released under the MPL 2.0 license. So this is a bang for the buck compared to other tools such as microfocus-UFT, Smartbear-Test Complete, Tricentis Tosca, etc.
2. Multiple Framework
Winium can test applications with any framework, such as JUnit, TestNG, NUnit, PyUnit, etc.
3. Many Languages Support
4. Easy To Cope-Up
Likewise, Selenium WebDriver, for Winium, we have a similar tool to locate desktop elements such as UIspy and insepect.exe.
5. Flexible Framework Implementation
With Winium, we can use it with any front-end testing libraries such as Cucumber, Gauge, or gherkin-based feature files to read the automation steps. We can also implement this in other frameworks like page object models, data-driven frameworks, key-driven frameworks, etc.