The developers of Cypress, addressed most of the shortcomings of other automation tools like Selenium before creating Cypress. I am sure that Cypress will meets all your expectation or even exceed them.
1. Free and Open source framework
The Cypress Test Runner is an open-source, downloadable application that runs your tests in a browser. It is free to use and is provided under the MIT licence. However, Cypress has different plan to choose from, which includes free, team, business and enterprise version. Free version is limited to 3 users and 500 test results.
2. Modern Tool
3. Fast and Stable Test
- Automatic Waiting: Cypress test automatically waits for DOM to be loaded, you don't have to implement additional waits such as implicit or explicit waits. Cypress not only waits for elements to be visible or Ajax to load but also waits for different requests to be send or returned.
- No network lag: Cypress execute majority of its command in browser that's why there is no network lag. Hence, test run faster.
- Real Time Reloads: With Cypress you don't need to start your test again and again after you make changes to your test, it is intelligent enough to automatically triggers and run the test in browser once you save your test.
4. Easy to Setup
You can install Cypress using NPM or you can use their desktop app. Also, you don't need to install any additional libraries, dependencies, drivers, servers etc like you have to do in case of Selenium.
5. East to Learn
6. Lightening Fast Debugging
With Cypress you don't have to guess, why your tests are failing. Cypress provides in-build tool like Developers Tool. Debugging in cypress is faster with readable errors, stack traces, screenshots and videos.
7. Types of Tests
With Cypress you can write several types of tests including unit test, integration test, end to end test. Even you can test APIs using Cypress. In cypress you can also use stubs and mocks to imitate backend behavior and modify DOM elements directly.
8. Cross Browser Testing
In Cypress you can run your test using firefox, chrome, edge and electron locally and in continuous integration pipeline.
9. Good Documentation and Strong Community
Cypress offers robust official documentation. Also, user are actively contributing to community like GitHub, Gitter, and StackOverflow.