Appium is an open source test automation tool developed and supported by Sauce Labs.
Appium allows native, hybrid and web application testing and supports automation test on physical devices as well as an emulator or simulator both.
Appium provides cross-platform application testing, i.e. single API works for both Android and iOS platform test scripts.
Key points about Appium
- Cross-Platform: Supports iOS and Android
- Open Source: Appium is a freely distributed open source mobile application UI Testing framework.
- Architecture: It uses JSON wire protocol internally to interact with iOS and Android native apps using the Selenium WebDriver.
- Supported Devices: Appium can seamlessly run on a variety of devices and emulators making it an apt choice for mobile test automation.
- Test Real Apps: You are testing apps which are used by the real user